PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 08:18
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Launch failure? no place to go!

First, thanks to Fujii, Megan, Kaz, Cream Puff, and many others - I am now looking forward to a lot of reading about the Royal Flying Doctor Service!

But to return to the problem, Airports Attract Development! which I see has generated its own thread, which may hopefully be noticed by your politicians and the media....

Yesterday I drove from Oxford up the M40 and the M1 to Nottingham, (an hour and 40 minutes) for the British Gliding Association AGM and conference.

What I saw was a lot of landscape, scarcely encumbered by a number of wind turbines, and an aircraft on approach to East Midlands. How come Britain seems to have been able to restrain the developers?

Of course it pays to have a serious war just the other side of the channel. Many a farm was turned into Airfield. A lot are still owned by the RAF, which is trying to sell them....
But the Green Belt regulations also preserve countryside, just under the approach for a lot of local airports. To get approval for any sort of development, it takes a lot longer in the UK. (In 40 years or so we may see a railroad between London and the North!)

Meanwhile, when dealing with ANY SORT OF LAUNCH FAILURE, you may survive if you land straight ahead, with the AIRCRAFT UNDER CONTROL.
Even on rooftops.