PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 07:33
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
ACR7 wasn't restricted to the far off reaches of Empire, it also constituted the only radar talk down aid at Colerne. Funny how the operator and the kit seemed to combine in one's memory. At Colerne that operator was Mark, though being Polish I suspect that was an anglicised version of his real name. My abiding memory is of making an approach to that hilltop runway in driving rain, with a strong crosswind from the left, low cloud, and the windscreen wipers of the Hastings working at full tilt. Throughout it all is Mark's calm voice chanting off the decreasing ranges and the heights that we should be passing through, whilst also making continuous corrections to our heading so as to keep us on the centreline. Eventually he tells us that we are approaching the breakoff height and to look ahead and continue visually or carryout a Go-around. Invariably though, there to the right are the multi-coloured lights of Colerne glistening through the water festooned windows.

Later he joins us in the Officers Mess Bar. Gone now is the measured tone, now he is the warm friendly Pole again as he greets me with accented enthusiasm, "My Dear, how good to see you safely back again!". Like all his fellow Poles, and their neighbours, he was a great asset to the Royal Air Force, both professionally and culturally.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 26th Feb 2017 at 07:44.