PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Engine Out Bank Angle
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 05:12
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Looking at my file POH (which covers AAV, although at a later amendment status than the mishap) bank guidance is somewhat delightfully vague.

You need to refer to the Safety Information Section for anything of use.

Vmc references are pretty standard ("not more than 5 degrees of bank"). However, for performance climb it gets a tad rubbery. There are references to "aircraft flown at recommended bank angle" under the section on Vyse (but without defining what might be recommended), and "the airplane must be banked about 5 degrees into the live engine" under the section on basic single engine procedures. I guess the poor old pilot needs to be a bit of a mind reader (or do a lot of general research reading).

I would revert to my previous thoughts. Near Vmc target 5 degrees bank into the operating engine while, for Vyse, perhaps 2-3 degrees (if performance is super critical on the day - otherwise wings level) and, for higher speeds, wings level.

Nothing that I can find in the emergency section (Section III).

So far as the run of the mill manuals, one needs to keep in mind the litigious nature of the US environment and a reluctance to provide guidance other than to the extent required by regulation. 5 degrees, at least, is referred to in the Regs.