PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2017, 23:38
planesandthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kdb1992

My only concern is right now that I do not want to commence a course and potentially be jobless by the end of the 18 month adventure at the expense of circa £120k..
If this is a major barrier to you then I suggest you find another career, this industry is so volatile that it only takes another recession or major worldwide event for recruitment to collapse.
No one can deny that. You can get offered a job straight away after training for a major airline or end up working in the school's call-center selling others the dream as a "Careers Advisor" for many months despite the fact your career hasn't started! Both of them are realistic scenarios.

Though I believe the MPL can be transferred in very exceptional circumstances to another carrier, you have to be attached to an airline from the beginning and stay with them for a decent period of time, whether or not you have to pay for a type rating a few years down the line once your MPL becomes an ATPL is down to what individual airlines are offering at the time.

Originally Posted by kdb1992

In regards to the MPL, I was made aware by the advisor that you're provided with an airline specific type rating?? :S.. Would that mean I'd be unable to move airlines without having to fork out another £30k for a type rating? Also, I'm confident (not bragging) that I should pass the ATPL but worst case if I do not pass the interview with easy jet after completion, would I still have to pay the full Easyjet MPL fee (£109,000).. Or would I be refunded the difference of (£15,000). ATPL Whitetail (£94,000)..

If you join EasyJet on Route 2 you will be paying the ATPL fee of £94k to start with, after the ATPL exams if you are upgraded you will then be adjusted to £109k, so no need for a refund as MPL Upgrade is not guaranteed at any stage, you pay if/when you're upgraded.
If you were not to pass the interview you would then be given the opportunity to join Route 3 EasyJet ATPL (subject to an offer) which would be £123,800 (30k for Type Rating which can be bonded) unless you wish to prefer just continue as a regular whitetail cadet (or do not meet pass EasyJet ATPL interview).

As you can see, there's a lot of opportunities and a lot of pitfalls on this path. Take the glossy brochures with a pinch of salt, get constructive advice from everyone, get out and do a bit of grassroots flying now (light aircraft/gliding) to show your passion and consider all options and schools, not just the ones with the best marketing skills.

It's Cost vs Risk. You might get employed straight away out of CTC after paying well north of £100k or you might be unemployed for a year doing it modular for £55,000.

Best of Luck.