PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF 747 Retirements
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2017, 17:06
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by V-Jet
Exactly what you said. Except my family and I tragically now (and we all resent it) travel on other airlines as well. Flying home spending $20-30k+ when you are parked beside the (now bastardised beyond recognition) Flying Kangaroo is a quixotic moment. I'd rather give it to the airline, but a) it doesnt often stack up and b) Elaine does not deserve anyone's money.
Fair enough, I also know and respect where you're coming from. I don't really care that much for the new livery but I can see (with a design background) the rationale behind it - I thought the last one, the Hulsbosch effort was pathetic and a mangling of the very sound Lunn/Dyer design of 1984. The Lunn/Dyer version needed a minor revision but I hated what he did to it. But then again, while I always loved the flying kangaroo, I did appreciate how dated it was when the 1984 change came along. It came from an era when designers just slapped a pair of wings on any object and thought it was design. I think the nose art of the new livery is a nice tribute. Having said all of that, I also remember when I started at QF in the 80s, fresh out of Uni and having grown up around and loving the company, there were more than a few people around even then that bagged everything about it, said it was worse than any of the other airlines, etc. so the negativity was always there. I do appreciate thought that LOTS of change has since happened which is hard to take.