PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lindbergh & P-38 Range Increase
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2017, 13:30
megan

Received 398 Likes on 210 Posts
Lindbergh & P-38 Range Increase

One oft mentioned Lindbergh contribution to the war effort was his visit to P-38 squadrons in the Pacific and teaching pilots techniques on how to fly the aircraft for range, so increasing their radius of action.

I've long wonder what techniques he taught, does anyone have any idea?

My interest was piqued today by reading a Kitty Hawk I flight manual which has the following,
NOTES ON MIXTURE CONTROL

The engine ls fitted with a Bendix-Stromberg carburettor Instead of the usual two-position mixture control, as fitted to British engines. the mixture control has the following 4 main positions:

FULL RICH: In this position there is no automatic compensation for altitude and temperature

AUTOMATIC RICH:
This is the position for the richest mixture which is automatically maintained by the compensating device.

AUTOMATIC LEAN:
This is the normd position for weak mixture. The automatic device maintains the mixture at this setting also.

IDLE CUT OFF:
For stopping the engine and while priming during engine starting operations.

Furthermore, the mixture strength can be progressively weakened by moving the lever from the AUTOMATIC HIGH position towards the IDLE CUT-OFF position, the weakening being effective also in the region beyond the AUTOMATIC LEAN position up to the point where the IDLE CUT-OFF operates (at the extreme end of the travel). At any point in this range the automatic compensating device is in operation.

Although placing the mixture control in the AUTOMATIC LEAN position gives a considerable reduction in fuel consumption, it is possible to obtain a consumption of about 5% lower by adjusting the mixture control as follows:

1. Obtain the desired engine cruising conditions

2. Change the airscrew control from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL. In this position the airscrew becomes effectively a fixed pitch airscrew

3. Set the mixture control to the position determined by weakening the mixture until a drop of 40 to 50 R.P.M. is indicated. The position may possibly be between AUTOMATIC LEAN and IDLE CUT OFF

4. Return the airscrew control to AUTOMATIC

If changes in altitude or cruising conditions are made, this setting should be checked by repeating the above operations.
Since the P-38 had the same mixture and prop control set up I'm inclined to think perhaps this may be the technique he taught.