PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mallard Down in Perth
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2017, 00:02
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the better 'conventional wisdom' is to practice how to avoid getting in the situation in the first place.

I knew someone who was terrified of stalling the aircraft. Their partner, a very experienced pilot, had her fly it at normal cruising height all the way from departure to destination (a ~50nm hop) with the stall warning on all the way, so she could actually feel what the aircraft was doing, and how it reacted as it got a bit slow. This meant it took an hour to make the flight, rather than the normal half.

She reckoned it was a more valuable exercise for her than going up and practicing fully developed stalls. There's still a big place to practice stalls, though, as an exercise in why not to loose control in this manner.

Perhaps skid training in cars should be carried out using a similar philosophy.

I'm with Clare Prop: It was the decision making and general handling that was flawed, probably by the time the aircraft made its stall onset clear it was too late to do much.

How many of us, having gained the license/rating, then spend time on an ongoing basis, to play around with the behaviour of the aircraft near the edge of its envelope? For a lot, I think time and $ constraints would probably limit this sort of ongoing practice.