PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A "Spicy" Tailwheel Endo?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 22:14
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the Chipmunk and have a few hundred hours in them. They do provide some very nice handling characteristics and are a great basic training aircraft. However, I think they might be a bit too docile for 'spicing up' a tailwheel endorsement. They have a wide-track undercarriage, which significantly reduces the risk of ground-looping and with proper oleo suspension you have to go some to cock up the landings/bounce. The brake system, whilst slightly eccentric, works very well and can pull you up in some pretty short distances and with the new-fangled electric starter motors you can't experience the unpleasant smell of a damp starter cartridge when it fails to start and just fizzles and smokes. To anyone else looking to fly a tailwheel aircraft I think these are all admirable traits and commend the design of the Chipmunk. For someone looking for 'spicy' then you need to be looking at a decent powered Pitts etc (which I don't necessarily think is a good way to go when getting initial training)