PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Masters of the Air
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 19:33
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sandiego, the key phrase is "complete rewrite of history". The film U-571 was one such, I quote from Wiki:

German submarine U-571 was a Type VIIC U-boat built for the Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine for service during World War II. U-571 conducted eleven war patrols, sinking seven ships totalling 47,169 gross register tons (GRT), and damaging one other, which displaced 11,394 tons. On 28 January 1944 she was attacked by an Australian-crewed Sunderland aircraft from No. 461 Squadron RAAF west of Ireland and was destroyed by depth charges. All hands were lost.
The fictional 2000 U.S. war film U-571 has no relation to this U-boat, but is very loosely based on the British capture of U-110 and her Enigma and cipher keys.

That is the sort of film that gets many others a bad name. There are of course many other films that are not fiction. Perhaps the best Allied film was The Longest Day. Other single nation films like Battle of the Bulge, Bridge at Remagen, Patton attracted no such criticism.

Of modern films I happened across The Fury the other day. A remarkable film featuring little, if any, music, and excellent CGI. Seeing the effect of an AP round hitting a tank and heating the armour to white hot was amazing and none of the usual Hollywood slow explosions.