PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Tempest is 79
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 11:50
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Barry has certainly had an interesting and at times exciting career.

However he had a miraculous escape from this in the early 70's.

On 30/7/1972, four aircraft were performing a display at the Barnstormers Air Display at Weston-Super-Mare airfield, when a mid-air collision occurred at approximately 100 feet, between Stampe SV.4c G-AYGR and Tiger Moth G-ANMO. Both aircraft crashed but all aboard survived. Barry Tempest, the pilot of G-AYGR, escaped with only a large bruise and concussion. The split in his crash helmet shows how close the disaster the accident had been.

Per eyewitness report from the pilot of G-AYGR:

"I flew with the RAT's for the 1971 season in Stampe SV4C's flying G-AYGR or G-AYCK in the No. 2 slot. A fabulous experience especially since I had no formation aerobatic time or training prior to joining the team. Not only that, but my first airshow with the team was the afternoon of the day I joined.........!!!

One day I will write it all up for one of the aviation magazines but I can confirm that on the odd occasion adrenalin was brown. Great blokes and fantastic pilots. Had to pack it in at the end of the 1973 season as, O thee of little faith, I lacked confidence in Rothmans continuation as sponsors beyond the end of 1973 and I had a wife, two kids and a mortgage to keep happy along with my day job of being CFI at Sibson.

I did blot my copybook in 1972 when I totally demolished a borrowed G-AYGR in a mid-air collision at a Barnstormers display at Weston-super-Mare. My subsequent apologies were accepted with a somewhat crinkly smile by Manx Kelly and Judy his wife."
source https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=75734

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 22nd Feb 2017 at 12:07.