PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union Membership
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 05:35
Trafalgar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a dues paying member for 20 yrs +. That includes during the 49'er episode where subscriptions were increased to support the affected members (and their families) who were terrorized by the company. Now, it seems that I have been a fool. I could have kept all the money over this past two decades, knowing that when I needed the AOA's help, I could join retroactively and expect the full support as though I had been contributing to the wellbeing of our membership all along. Silly me. If this comes to pass, I will resign from my membership, and send the GC a letter telling them exactly why. This is disgusting on so many levels. There are responsibilites, morals and commitments involved in supporting an association. To allow this person to join now, without any financial penalty would be obscene. In fact, at this point I wouldn't believe the AOA GC if they stated he had 'paid' a penalty. There has to be an example made to the wider pilot community that there is in fact a difference between being a member, and freeloading on the actual memberships financial commitments. No better lesson would be taught than for the entire pilot body to know that if you choose to spend many years freeloading, when push comes to shove, you lie in the bed you chose. NO to membership for this individual.