PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier gets another handout...
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2017, 21:17
grizzled

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts
For a differing view here's an excerpt from an investment advising service:

"Last year around this time, Bombardier, Inc. stock was languishing around $1; its business was in complete disarray with a potential bankruptcy in its future, its CSeries jets failed to attract new orders, and the train business couldn’t deliver a quality product on time if its life depended on it.

Fast forward to today, and Bombardier stock is up a whopping 117.5% over the past 52 weeks — an indication that the worst may be over for the maker of planes and trains.

Fool.ca contributor Andrew Walker recently discussed whether or not Bombardier’s latest rally is sustainable; in the 10 days since the article appeared, its stock has basically gone sideways, suggesting investors might be coming to their senses. Furthermore, with NAFTA looking more and more like it’s going to be torn down and rebuilt, Bombardier’s position in the world is anything but certain, especially if it continues to over promise and under deliver with customers.

I have never been a fan of Bombardier’s because its financial reports are filled with way too many footnotes that the average investor likely doesn’t understand and the fact that it relies far too much on corporate welfare from various levels of government to remain competitive. It’s a lethal combo.

Yet you can’t ignore a $31 billion backlog — can you?

But that’s Bombardier’s game. Keep pushing the ball farther down the road while preaching the same old “things are getting better” speech, and retail investors will continue to blindly follow it."

Re the Feds loaning (Canadian taxpayer's) money to the company: Whether Bombardier is or is not a potentially good investment is an entirely different question than whether I want public funds (my money) to support the company. I for one certainly do not.