PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2017, 17:12
LAX_LHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can well understand the frustration amongst contributors here that MAN's projections for post-expansion T2 are not reminiscent of Changi, (new) Doha, or Hong Kong CLK. That would be nice! But we need to temper our expectations. MAN T2 is unlikely to ever serve as home-base hub for a world-class full-service carrier.
I don't think anyone has suggested that at all, and it's slightly patronising to suggest this is why we don't like the final designs.

The reasons are more complex. You talk about functionality and such, and my reasons for the dislike are actuall based on that principle too.

Point 1) narrow corridors.

in a terminal being designed for 20m+ passengers, is it really functional to have such narrow spaces in areas that are principally supposed to keep a good flow? People stopping to look in shop windows, sort out their items and such, is that really aiding the function?

Then it looks like the 'food market' is a cul de sac, so, you will have a narrow corridor having not only 2 way flow for he food market itself, but any lost pax who take a wrong turn etc. That will creat all sorts of crowding.

2) seating

I know, I know and I know again that airports now rely on retail and food revenue, but, having the lack of seating in these designs tells me that they have paid no attention to feedback. One of the biggest things in reviews, social media and CSQ's is lack of free seating apart from the gates, to which now you can't even do as you only go to your hate and pier once the flight is called.

Would it really be so hard to adapt areas for seating? It just means those who don't want to pay £20 odd quid for a crappy breakfast or £4 for a coffee congrugate in the passageways and corridors, thus creating congestion. The lack of free seating may boost your revenue, but you pay for it in other ways. If MAN really want to be an airport the north can be proud of, let's have a few more seats instead of jazzy looking but uncomfortable benches placed in random locations.

3) added capacity

So, where has this capacity been added to aid growth? Certainly no new stands, overall the security areas will be the same size in relative terms from 1 each at T1/T2 to the 2 in T2, same amount of baggage carousels as in the combined T1/T2, so it's just more room for shops. And more shops, and oh, more shops. Great.