PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2017, 13:45
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machinbird

"From my personal experience again, any time an aircraft does not appear to be following your control inputs for reasons that you do not understand or cannot control, it will immediately trigger a strong physiological fear response in the pilot flying.. By fear response, I am referring to the typical fight or flight reactions."

Biochemistry describes these responses accurately. Can we agree that the kind of fear we are discussing wants an observed (experienced) stimulus?

If so, then I propose one that might fit your parameters. At loss of autopilot, the a/c was reporting a deviation in altitude of (-) 400 feet. It also, via FD, showed a roll to starboard.

The pilot, probably in concert with ".....I have the controls....", made inputs to climb, and roll left. The aircraft did not immediately respond in Pitch (BEA). In fact, the record shows it took eleven seconds for "....the aircraft began to climb..."

Does that qualify as a stimulus sufficient to gain the pilot's concern?

Life on Top

Don't forget the Captain's exit from his seat to disable the ELAC? There is record on the ACARS of 447 of what looks like an attempt to gain Direct Law by disconnecting "....Prim/Sec......" Also 447's "uncommanded roll", "unresponsive controls" and "Stall,Stall" as the autopilot quit? "Buffet"?