PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 09:17
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BEACH KING
I thought I must have forgotten the correct procedure, as I discussed it with him at length on the ground after that first BFR flight, where he explained that you can't use aileron to pick up the wing as it's already stalled.
Well maybe you can't, or maybe you can - it depends on the type. Firstly the aileron on the other side will still be working, and that will reduce the roll rate. Secondly whilst a significant chunk of the dropping wing may be stalled, it's quite possible that the region by the aileron won't be stalled due to washout, changes of wing-section, slats/slots or any of a number of other design features explicitly intended to assure aileron control at the point of departure.

So even the aileron on the dropping wing may well be able to impart some useful roll-moment and reduce the amount of wing-drop while the driver is attending to the most important task of unstalling the wings to recover normal control. It's also worth noting that if the aeroplane has an dihederal then applying out-spin rudder actually INCREASES the AoA on the "stalled" wing, so quite how it's supposed to unstall it remains a mystery.

I'm an arrogant SoB by nature, which is why becoming an airline pilot probably wouldn't have been the ideal career choice for me. But when I was doing my basic PPL training my first instructor taught this "pick up the dropping wing with rudder" cockermamie and I refused. My earliest flying was air-experience flying on Chipmunks (AEF 6 at Abingdon - happy days!) and one of the instructors there had been very firm with his standard patter:

"Never thrash with the rudder close to the stall unless you're either deliberately trying to spin, or you're flying over a graveyard and don't have the money for a proper funeral" (he would then explain it at length, if you asked, but the patter phrase stuck in the memory as intended). So when my "proper" instructor tried to teach this I was shocked. In the lesson debrief we had a stand-up row about it, with the essential outcome that I found a different instructor!

€0.07 supplied,

PDR