PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 08:44
BEACH KING

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting topic.
I had used the same instructor to conduct my BFR (or whatever CASA calls them now) for probably 5 previous reviews. During a demonstrated stall the first time I flew with the bloke, he rebuked me sharply for not using the rudder to pick up the dropped wing.
I was startled and confused at the time, as I had been taught in my training by a very experienced instructor (and good mate) to "push forward and feed it to her"!
I thought I must have forgotten the correct procedure, as I discussed it with him at length on the ground after that first BFR flight, where he explained that you can't use aileron to pick up the wing as it's already stalled. I already knew that, but didn't think that getting wings level was a first priority.
For my most recent BFR, I lost track of expiry date and needed a review in a hurry. I was most fortunate by chance to run across a very well known and experienced warbird pilot and instructor who offered to do the review immediately!
During the stall demonstration I picked up the dropped wing with rudder whilst pushing forward and applying power. After the stall recovery, he remarked that he didn't know that I enjoyed aerobatics. I informed him that I certainly had no love of aerobatics. "Keep that rudder at stall **** up and you will have to learn to love doing them" was his comment. On the ground he told me that using the rudder in this way was very unwise.
So there you go.