PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2017, 19:38
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bomber Command losses

A belated Happy New Year to one and all. Danny, glad to read that you bounced back after your recent 'hiccup' and are continuing to lead us onwards on our merry and wandering route through aviation history.

Speaking of history, Chugalug's reference to the 55,57+ lives lost in Bomber Command was brought home to me during my last tour in the RAF, over 20 years ago. Life being a funny old thing, I find myself presently in the company of other ex-military types (three ex-RAF, one ex-REME, and one ex-RNZAF) currently engaged on the Major Inspection of the RAF Lancaster PA474. Non of us consider ourselves 'old men', although we are 'old sweats'. Inter-service rivalry, along with the easy banter all ex-military personal enjoy, help make this a labour of love, not a job. Don't misunderstand me, we are getting paid. But we are all in agreement, we are not here for the money.
One example of how this task is out of the ordinary is the daily crewroom conversations. Normally, in the world of Contractor Engineering, the topics will vary between which agency is paying the most this week, and where are the best digs for the next planned contract. Not us, and not here. To give an example, after we first gathered for this task, and compared notes with each other, we realised that each of us was reasonably read in our chosen field, and that field was historic aviation. So much so that by the end of the first week, the Kiwi turned around and said 'I thought I knew a lot about historic aviation...and then I met you lot!'
The Lancaster we can keep in good health without too much difficulty. Generally, parts are available, and there are a few firms out there who can continue to overhaul the Merlin engines and the DeHavilland propellers. There are also small pockets of engineering excellence where many of the 'old' skills are still found. Two days ago, I even met a gentleman who spins for a living. Not a politician, but a genius who can spin a flat piece of metal into an aircraft spinner, just the way they were made 70 years ago.
Unfortunately, we are unable to keep the former crews, both ground and air, in the same health with the same ease. So, we continue to treasure the contributions of Danny's generation, and those generations that have followed.

On behalf of the 'Lanc Team', I thank and salute you all.

camlobe