PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay colors?
Thread: Gay colors?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2017, 04:53
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Qantas as a public company can do virtually what it likes when it comes to advertising this sort of stuff. Like others have posted, as mere line pilots and engineers there's bugger all influence we have on this issue.

Some others on here have talked about not enjoying flying with LGBTIQ colleagues. Personally I've got no qualms. Like any other colleague they vary from awesome to 'below average' when it comes to my enjoyment of sharing a flight deck. Having fun flying an aeroplane is less about someone's sexual orientation than it is about their personality. Sure we don't tend to swap stories on the many issues that affect someone like me raising kids at school but that's neither here nor there. Some LGBTIQ colleagues are quite interested in what my kids are up to. A few LGBTIQ colleagues have kids having come out later in life and that's cool when we can share that experience of the trials, tribulations and joys of raising kids. In short, no problem. I'm sure my LGBTIQ colleagues would share similar views about flying with me.

The Mardi Gras and wider LGBTIQ political movement has achieved a lot of good. Anything that can reduce the violence perpetrated against people based on how they choose to live their life is a good thing. I'm not a fan of the style of the parade, the promiscuity or the increased risk taking behaviour the parade appears to promote (unsafe sex, drug and alcohol fuelled behviour including violence, etc) but I simply make a choice to not watch it. It does allow me to talk to my kids about our beliefs and values and how they are different to many others in the marketplace.

I disagree that the Mardi Gras is purely a 'cultural' event. At it's concept it was a political rally and I get the impression it remains an important political centrepiece of the LGBTIQ movement. You only need to see the uproar recently over whether to invite the PM to see even a small part of the politics at play. Most people older than 30 would still see it as a political rally masquerading as a cultural event. That makes it quite distinct from floriade or many other purely cultural events.

I disagree that this is simply smart marketing directed at a high spending demographic. About 2 million people attend churches of various denominations every week yet there is no effort to engage them on the issues that are important to them. To deny the political aspect of the stance Qantas has taken here is to deny reality. If it's 'smart marketing' then there are plenty of other groups that Qantas could be targeting. That they don't shows this to be a political act- which is what things dressed up as 'social justice' actually are.

Qantas has sponsored the Mardi Gras for a couple of years now and is vocal in the same sex marriage debate. They've launched a parallel campaign to the Rainbow roo called #equalityis. Interestingly, the video associated with that campaign is playing on TVs near some baggage claim belts. It's the only video of the few I watched the other day that has volume with it- all other videos were silent.

It's the political aspect that I'm disappointed has raised it's head so obviously now in the workplace. I felt somewhat uncomfortable when the 'recognise' Dash 8 was painted (a principle I agree with..... another discussion entirely). I view a company championing political issues similarly to how I view various superstars coming out for or against other political positions- I simply don't care what they think. The other question worth asking is why do they think I care what they have to say on the issue? (More on this point in another post at another time). Of course, I was relatively silent on the Dash 8 recognise campaign so I can't be too surprised that Qantas has continued to champion it's preferred political causes.

Previously Qantas has allowed people time off to attend Mardi Gras, they've sponsored a float and so on. Apart from emails and links to stories this has remained relatively removed from the workplace. I can avoid going to the Mascot campus and seeing the rainbow tail used on the 'Gay380' float from last year's Mardi Gras. This aeroplane though actually IS my workplace. It's hard to avoid seeing this livery when you're flying the jet.

There are a number of people in Qantas (gay, straight, Christian, atheist, Jewish, Muslim, etc) who do not agree with same sex marriage and/or the Mardi Gras for religious, cultural, historical, societal or behavioural reasons. Yet now they're being forced to tacitly support the issue even though they hold strong beliefs to the contrary.

So how do I intend on responding?
1. At some stage I will talk to my manager and highlight the fact that I find this stance by Qantas to be an unwelcome political issue in my workplace- not to the extent that it impacts my work but clearly given the comments on this thread it's a highly charged issue that is occupying brain space amongst both supporters and opponents of the political issue.
2. I did consider whether refusing to fly the jet was an option. Were I to do so I'd need to consult with AIPA as it's no doubt got significant industrial consequences. I'd also need to let my Qantas manager know in advance if that's the road I was going to take. Of course, making that sort of call carries significant potential downside as well with being labelled a 'bigot' the least of my worries.
3. Ultimately though I've decided to fly it. Sure I won't be thrilled about it (for more than just the reasons highlighted above) but hopefully when someone asks me what I think about it (which they have already and I've not flown it yet and I'm sure they will again at some stage) I can explain those reasons and the basis behind them with some depth. That my friends (and some enemies) is the bit that excites me.