PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does A330 with emergency config will enter direct law after L/G gravity extension
Old 20th Feb 2017, 04:25
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can8
I remember reading in one airbus instructor meeting report that A330 is not a big A320. So I think it will be better to forget A320 during transition. A330 has better redundancy the flare mode and also the AP is available in some situations in alternate law. But in A320 the transition to direct law with gear down is in fact the only flare mode of alternate law. The flare mode of A330 is slight pitch down elevator is applied while in A320 it progressively pitches down by eight degrees. But without Radio altitude measurement there can be no flare mode any way so with gear down it goes in direct law. A330 also does the same in ELEC EMER. That is why you use manual pitch trim. Do not confuse this with A320 Neo not going to direct law with only some failures like double yaw damper fail. Actually it does not even go into alternate law but remains in normal law with flare mode. Airbus wants pilots to carefully handle since there is a failure so only the indication of alternate law is displayed. As I said if you keep comparing A320 you will add to your confusion.

Last edited by vilas; 22nd Feb 2017 at 08:04.