PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2017, 04:15
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you not think the eyewitness record is or should be public domain?

What the hoarders of the record owe the public is clearly apparent. That they continue to block access is criminal, IMO.
Concours77, there exists an uneasy relationship between pilots and things that record what they do and say in the cockpit.
In order to have CVRs in the cockpit, the authorities have had to agree that pilots last words will not be made public in raw form, otherwise pilots have means of defeating such recording devices in order to maintain their privacy. In unusual circumstances, raw recordings have been made available to the public, but I for one am willing to forego someones final expressions of dismay in order to have access to the bulk of what was said in written form. I know other clues to look for to draw the bigger picture.

I would be interested still in your opinion regarding the Roll Direct issue at 02:10:05. Still PIO?
I have had extensive discussions with Owain Glyndwr who possess much more detailed aerodynamic knowledge than I will ever hope to have. He has mathematically demonstrated that it was not a classic PIO, however I have enough physics to know that any system with feedback and too much gain will go unstable. A pilot is a variable gain feedback device and a highly excited pilot is very likely to increase the rapidity and level of his feedback if he perceives the aircraft is not doing what he mentally expects it to. Add interesting effects such as time dilation to the pilot's time perception and who knows what the result can be. These effects are extremely difficult to generate for scientific study. I do know that two Airbus aircraft have been lost after the PF inexplicably pulled back on the stick and pretty much held it there after experiencing roll instability at the transition to Roll Direct in alternate law. (AF447 & QZ8501)