PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 03:13
Clare Prop

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts
This is the section about recovery from a stall.

A5.1 – Enter and recover from stall

(a) perform pre-manoeuvre checks for stalling;

(b) recognise stall signs and symptoms;

(c) control the aeroplane by applying the required pitch, roll and yaw inputs as appropriate in a smooth, coordinated manner, trims aeroplane accurately to enter and recover from the following manoeuvres:

(i) incipient stall;

(ii) except for multi-engine aeroplanes, stall with full power applied;

(iii) stall without power applied;

(iv) stall under the following conditions:

(A) straight and level flight;

(B) except for multi-engine aeroplanes, climbing;

(C) except for multi-engine aeroplanes, descending;

(D) approach to land configuration;

(E) except for multi-engine aeroplanes, turning;

(d) perform stall recovery as follows:

(i) positively reduce angle of attach;

(ii) use power available and excess height to increase the aircraft energy state;

(iii) minimise height loss for simulated low altitude condition;

(iv) re-establish desired flight path and aircraft control;

(e) recover from stall in simulated partial and complete engine failure configurations.

Let me know what your definition is of "incipient spin" The only amendments to the MOS since it became a legislative instrument in 2014 have been for ATPL and IR test . There has never been anything in the MOS about "full opposite rudder" it is one of the many Old Wives Tales that we come across.

Absolutely agree the one size fits all thing is not appropriate and is lazy/ignorant instructing. I see it a lot particularly relating to the use of carb heat and electric fuel pump in PA28s. Don't get me started on CSU power settings... "My instructor told me" does not override the POH.