PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2017, 22:10
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concours77, I am glad that we have your motivation and background out in the open. In a PM earlier I noted that I perceived that you were attempting to steer the narrative of the accident. The problem with that tactic is that you obviously did not have sufficient aviation background to do that successfully.

I have investigated aircraft accidents, witnessed aircraft accidents, and read thousands of accident and incident reports over the years and one thing I have learned is that there are extremely few new ways to have an accident. The addition of technology between the pilot and the aircraft opens up new possibilities for misunderstanding what is happening, but aerodynamics is till at work in the background to make things fly.

When you take an aircraft through the maneuvers depicted on the AF447 DFDR readout, it is obvious what put the aircraft in the water so the question I have, is what factors were influencing the crew to allow them to grossly mis-understand what their aircraft was doing. I would like to have a discussion what influence fear may have played in this accident. I am not considering the typical movie depiction of fear, but rather the built in physiological response to fear that any pilot worth his salt has experienced and overcome in training and operations. In my experience, professionals will typically attempt to keep solving problems right up until the end. The problems occur when the physiological response to fear/stress interferes with perception and with orderly thinking.