PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funding / Loans / Money
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2017, 20:40
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Tech has said, you can lose the lot and since it's your money which you've put up front, what does an airline have to lose if they don't think you're right for them? The Aer Lingus scheme is a good one (they pay the lot up front) and if you have a PPL, possibly West Atlantic.

Personally I wouldn't touch the rest unless I could afford to lose a lot of money. I wouldn't pay for my own training either beyond getting an instructors rating in my spare time. You only have to look outside of the commercial piloting bubble to see how bad some of the schemes are.

You have plenty of big companies paying for people to complete 5, 6 and 7 year training programmes which involve a mixture of work and study, often to degree level. Indeed, the training programme that I'm on costs my current employer the best part of £150k from start-to-finish. How much of it am I paying? None, they're paying me instead.

Hopefully, that puts everything into perspective. I know it's a dream and yes, the marketing people do a very effective job of selling it but make sure you see through the marketing hype for what it is at the end of the day. A job. One which the employer should be paying you for and ideally paying for your training too.