PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2017, 15:46
Clare Prop

Received 224 Likes on 101 Posts
It's not all blokes at all.

Writing as a pilot who happens to be female, just the use of the derogatory word "Bird" is ridiculous enough and seems to describe a brainless female who can only do anything with the support and fnancial backing of a large team of men.

The comparisons with Amy Johnson are insulting. Amy was an officer in the RAF who died serving her country and had the right to wear those wings.

Amy got the prize money AFTER she COMPLETED the SOLO flight in an aeroplane she owned. As the first British woman to gain an engineers licence she did her own repairs and maintenance.

Neither myself or the many female students I have trained have been "inspired" by a stunt like this. For female pilots who deserve admiration and respect for their achievements there are many.

Polly Vacher flew a PA28 round the world to raise money for flying scholarhsips for the disabled and was rightly awarded the MBE. The only passengers she took were disabled people.

In recent times how about Lachlan Smart, Fedor Kornyukov, Dave Sykes, Julie Wang...what TCT did was not remarkable in any way for the flying just for its brazen publicity seeking.

I would be very surprised if anyone was positively inspired by someone who lies for publicity, who boasts of flying dangerously low and whose attitude towards African ATC after her silly flying in prohibited airspace was, to my mind, racist.

Hardly a role model for anyone but why single out women, or are we supposed to be too stupid to see through this?

If Boeing, Artimis etc wanted to help foster aviation they could have used that money for some scholarships, and hopefully not discriminated against men when doing so.