PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 19th Feb 2017, 14:31
m0nkfish

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredBA/BY
I am very curious to discover why crews were unstrapping during taxi back. During ALL of my time on ejection seats, 12 years, I never, ever, saw anyone unstrapping, or even attempting such before shutdown and as a refresher QFI I flew with a LOT of very experience students, from P/O to AM. ( Perhaps some easing of shoulder harnesses but nothing more.)

Similarly in my 25 years on civil jets never ever saw any pilot fully unstrap during taxi in.
Shoulder straps, perhaps but never a full unstrap.

What do you "unstrappers" now know that the rest of us did not ?
I am surprised you never observed the practise of unstrapping on taxiing back. I flew with three different air forces and found it a very common occurrence.

There are arguments both for and against but nothing that can apparently definitively lay the matter to rest.

I believe this should have been left up to the individuals to make their own informed decisions and did not need further regulating, but it seems now that you have to be seen to be doing something, etc, etc