PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 19th Feb 2017, 09:57
cattletruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regardless of all the theory in the world on stall recovery there is nothing a bit of time in an aerobatic rated aircraft won't fix in a few minutes.

I was fortune to indulge in exploring deep stalls in a Bellanca Decathlon as part of my training - 5 fully stalled complete spins was the then legal limit which gave one plenty of time to appreciate the stable state of a stalled aircraft and room to think.

The topic of this thread reminds me of a story I read in Charles Kingsford Smith's unofficial autobiography. He was pax in a RPT twin in South America when noticing the engines were full bore and the plane was not climbing. He made his way to the cockpit only to see a mountain range dead ahead that the pilots were going to drive straight into. He told the pilots to drop the nose to pick up speed to achieve a better rate of climb. As CKS would say "always fly the wing" - something Bob Hoover was great at demonstrating.