PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2017, 23:47
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
My issue is with the "after the fact" partisans, the agencies, the politicians, the investors, etc. and the lawyers, not to mention the spinners.

I cast too broad a net, and I apologize....
Fair enough - apology accepted. It's just something I've very sensitive to - the accusations than invariably occur whenever the cause points to something other than the aircraft - that Boeing/Airbus/etc. 'rigged' the data. While the manufactures have dedicated air safety investigators, they regularly pull in subject matter experts from the various engineering areas. I was only intimately involved in one really bad accident - the Lauda 767 that crashed when a thrust reverser deployed during climb. It was perhaps the hardest thing I ever did in my 40 year career - and the reverser wasn't even my system. At first the investigation wasn't that bad because everyone thought it was bomb, but that changed. The DFDR was destroyed and didn't yield any useful information, but we were able to get a printout from the FADEC non-volatile memory. That memory dump was the smoking gun that the T/R had deployed at 24k/Mach 0.78, and I was one of the first people to see the evidence . A deployment it flight wasn't supposed to be able to happen, but somehow it had and 223 people had died because we'd missed something.
I went home that night and put away the better part of a bottle of Scotch . I honestly don't know how my friends who do crash investigations for a living do it...