PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it even possible to get a job?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2017, 17:37
SeventhHeaven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're that long out of training, a lot of companies won't consider you anymore. Honestly, even 2 years out of training is too long for pretty much all of them. 5 years your credentials are basically dead, no matter how good or current you may be. It's HR you need to convince, and they're lazy these days! Especially Belgian airlines STRONGLY favour kids straight out of training. Honestly, even just flying for fun as a club member does not look good on your CV - as it's not commercial flying and basically just drilling holes in the sky.

You need to reset the clock on your CV to be considered again. For example:
  1. become an instructor
  2. Redo an MCC JOC course
  3. do some scenic flying (Do you know Sky Serve Netherlands? They hire people every year)

I personally went with option 1. I simply walked into the head of training's office, told him i'm very interested in the FI course, and he said he'd hire me provided I did well on the course. Many schools and clubs have lost FI to the airlines the past year, and many are desperate for for the coming season! If you want to do this, DO IT NOW. You don't want to qualify as an FI when the flying season is winding down!

If I may leave you with a personal message - If it does not work out for you, and you feel like you have to put your flying dream on hold, realise there is no shame in it. Not everything in life works out, but at least you did all you could. I know from personal experience it's a very tough pill to swallow.

Best of luck mate, whatever you decide.