PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funding / Loans / Money
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2017, 16:53
Crask93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to planning how long you think the training will take you ill give you my experience so far.

Background: Finished Uni with an Aerospace degree, got a full time engineering job local to me in May 2015 and started training in July. Had very little money to start with, all funding comes from working.

Started a LAPL in July 2015 (no real reason, just the instructor I wanted to fly with could only do LAPL's). I managed to get a test in on Christmas Eve, licence was issued January. I then did a night rating as part of the PPL conversion course and finally got a PPL (A) with a night rating issued by March 2016. This could have been earlier but due to the weather. So you're talking around 8 months for all that.

I was then lucky to find an economical share in a Cessna 150 locally for hour building. Some fantastic flying over the summer turned into a bit of a drag over winter. 157 hours was hit in January 2017. 10 months for that.

Taking a step back a little, I signed up to an ATPL course with CAT's in May time. Of the three stages, I passed the first in October, second stage in January 2017 and I have the final stage penciled in for March-April 2017. Without a doubt the most difficult and strenuous part of training. Be careful when estimating the time for this. Trying to rush these is probably not worth the resits. Lots of information to take in but they are all passable.

So 20 months in and you don't feel like you have made much progress but its close, you just have to stick with it.

My plan, note, PLAN, it may change, is as follows:

I have a course booked at Diamond Flight Academy in Sweden for June. This will take me to August assuming all is well. When im back it will be the MCC/JOC course which is still undecided, depending on finance at the time.

So overall it will have taken me around 2 years 2 months. Depending on your background, finances, motivation and determination, I would say that is a relatively fair estimate for someone who starts off with very little with a full time job.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to follow the modular route. I can't say if it will give me an advantage over an Integrated guy, but I certainly think you get much more life experience and are probably a more rounded individual at the end. I don't mean that against an integrated guy however.

Plan things, budget things, but be aware things can change in an instant. If the exchange rates drop my plan may change again

PM me if anyone has any questions.