PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA32 Saratoga - short field
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2017, 07:20
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The T tail Lance does not want to lift off as easily as the low tail model.
I don't have any time in a T tail Lance, I've flown the low tail Lance and the Cherokee 6. Also I've flown the PA28R both low and T tail so I can imagine how the T tail Lance compares to the low tail Lance.

The T tail being up out of the prop wash needs a higher airspeed/groundspeed before it becomes effective.

The T Tail Arrow took longer to get the nose raised on the take off roll and on a grass surface this certainly increased the take off distance. The overall impact on a sealed surface wasn't anywhere near as great in my experience.

The T Tail is a double whammy for the unwary. Because it is initially less effective and they are not getting the expected response, they will pull back even further in an attempt to raise the nose, when it does become effective it is more effective than the low tail version as it has a longer lever arm.

Now with more up elevator than needed, the aircraft over rotates, and you end up in the high drag situation described above, where the pilot mushes through the hedge at the far end of the runway.