View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2017, 21:24
Good Business Sense

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alex90

Extreme case
?

Happens hundreds of times per week in the UK

fact that MSA in the "class G, IR(R) world" generally means Minimum Safety Altitude
Re. splitting hairs - in the Commercial Class G IR world MSA relates to my post above and has nothing to do with class G per se and, as far as I'm aware, there is no official term such as "Minimum Safety Altitude" i.e. no definition, ICAO or otherwise. I'm sure many people use these aberrations in various ways but they mean nothing in themselves and they are incorrect.

relates to being at least 1000' above the highest obstacle within 5nm of track
Once again, the importance of quoting the entire law i.e. all the text ..... The RULE is as follows .... you've left out ..... "Except when necessary for take-off or landing"

SERA.5015 Instrument flight rules (IFR) — Rules applicable to all IFR flights
(b) Minimum levels
Except when necessary for take-off or landing, or except when specifically authorised by the competent authority, an IFR flight shall be flown at a level which is not below the minimum flight altitude established by the State whose territory is overflown, or, where no such minimum flight altitude has been established:
(1) over high terrain or in mountainous areas, at a level which is at least 600 m (2 000 ft) above the highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft;
(2) elsewhere than as specified in (1), at a level which is at least 300 m (1 000 ft) above the highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft.

I think we've done this to death now - I'm done - happy landings

Last edited by Good Business Sense; 16th Feb 2017 at 21:54.