PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 Medical first issue - why only London?
Old 16th Feb 2017, 17:03
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biscuit74......

I thought it was possible do an initial Class One at NATS Prestwick, you need to check that.

An update, I've checked, the following comes from the NATS website:

"NATS is one of just three providers in the UK approved by the CAA to perform initial EASA medical examinations for those needing EASA Class 1 medical licences. These are carried out at our Aeromedical Centres at Swanwick in Hampshire and in Prestwick in Scotland. Renewals are available at other NATS sites, including Heathrow House, (BAA pass holders may be able to have their EASA medicals at Heathrow Control Tower).

I should add that that the CAA website mentions three initial class one medical centres, two in London and one in Horley near Gatwick. Radgirl is of course correct in that certain AMEs are cashing in, it is a disgrace that there are no regional centres as the CAA suggest. Also I smell a rat that the CAA website do not mention NATS Swanwick or Preswick.

My suggestion to you biscuit74 is to phone NATS to see if they can do an initial class one, if so please let us all know, and I will then ask the CAA to update their website.

Finally the CAA approved cardiologists ECG reading has always been a rip off. I once got a frend's father who was a eminent cardio thoracic surgeon to do me a free ECG, he and his consultant cardiologist signed me off with a perfectly normal and healthy ECG, but the CAA would not accept that as they were not CAA approved. This surgeon was an interesting,as he had been an expert witness in the Staines disaster enquiry, in which it was suggested that the captain had a heart attack, he disagreed. Anyway the surgeon was both offended and livid with the CAA that they didn't think either he or his cardiologist were competent. I feel sure he must have had words with the CAA, as the next day the CAA decided to accept my normal ECG reading with no additional charge. There is no reason why any NHS consultant can not sign of a normal ECG, obviously if it's not a normal ECG, I accept a CAA authorised cardiologist might be appropriate.

Last edited by Homsap; 16th Feb 2017 at 18:11.