PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpublished let-downs
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2017, 16:08
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that you didn't realise the reality.
Well I assumed that everyone was taught well enough to know what they SHOULD do. Especially at IR(R) level. Ie... Descend to MSA, if you still can't see anything - request cloud base at a local aerodrome, if it is high enough to maintain VFR below, do a cloud-break approach. Then decide whether to commit to the approach, or to continue to your original destination VFR in VMC at or above the approach's minimums.

Not "follow X radial of VOR Y and at Z nautical miles DME continue descending below MSA". That is NOT what anyone should EVER do.

But then again, about 80% of them had never heard of an SRA... Sooooo.... Maybe I once again had too much faith in the teaching. Don't these instructors get taught how to teach? Don't they have renewals?

Anyway... How can we attempt to lobby the UK CAA for safer approaches for ALL airfields? I think this is particularly important right now, as we seem to have more and more accidents relating to people doing their own "ad-hoc" approaches. I find it very worrying. If at least these pilots, irrespective of pressures, had an alternative, then maybe there would be fewer accidents.