PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2017, 16:01
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Thank you for the the three links - the first is clearly the short way into the Carlstrom story, and the second the amazing Youtube of the "abandoned house" and the "ghost town" of Florida. It's a "Marie Celeste" situation, isn't it ? Florida is not Darkest Africa, for pete's sake ! How come they can "lose" a town ? And in what fine conditoh do the buildings appear to be, and the roads and footpaths. Please step forward, any resident of Florida on this frequency, and explain to us how this came about !

Your third link would not 'play', not on Internet Explorer nor on Google Chrome, which is all I've got. But no matter, we've seen enough to whet our appetite. It so happens that another skeleton has tumbled out of the closet, so to speak. During my time at Leeming, two of our new Controllers, Paul Harris and Bob McEvoy, presented me with a line drawing of a Vultee Vengeance. It was of professional quality, clearly Paul was an expert draughtsman and I think Bob had coloured it. I had not set eyes on it for fifty years.

I have moved into my daughter Mary's house to end my days. Our old house is only three doors away; we are (well, Mary is !) clearing it for sale. The drawing turned up: they had drawn two aerial wires from the tail, one to the mast on top, and a lower one clearly going to a wingtip ! (the drawing was side view). They would have researched this, it would be accurate. (You'll remember how we puzzled over this wire).

I would scan it and Post the drawing on here if only I could. One day someone may come along to do it for us.

Ian BB,

Yes, Will Largent (RIP) wrote a wonderful story - and in what detail ! But he was a journalist after all, and I suspect had 'gilded the lily' more than somewhat. AFAIK, the only times I was in Arcadia were on arriving and departing by train; I do not recall any tumultuous welcome nor fond farewell. Perhaps by 42C (three months later), we'd outstayed our welcome.

Cheers, both, Danny.