PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2017, 15:28
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From OG

"Bear in mind that there may be a delay between action and recording of that action because of DFDR characteristics"

Thank you.....I have allowed for that. Unless crew were expecting a Law Degrade with loss of autopilot, the recorded data suggests this exact thing (delay in recording).

I repeat that the only (first) evidence we have of the crew's recognition of these important aspects is seventeen seconds AFTER the DFDR (sic) reporting of them.

I believe I can make a reasonable statement relative to the (recorded) difficulty in managing Roll... Turbulence? Possible. Patent aircraft roll response as sensitive in Alternate Law? Certainly, Airbus is explicit about that. Uncommanded Roll as a result of approach to Stall? Again, possible, the StallWarning demands we consider that.

"...We've lost the speeds....Alternate Law...." At 02:10:22, spoken by David Robert, PNF (pilot not flying......)

Seventeen seconds after the first reported manually effective control inputs by Pierre Cedric Bonin, and the defining moment of onset of "confusion....." We know that they are at odds with the annunciation PFD data, and each other, concerning ascent...

That is all completely patent, I believe. The last vocalization I believe was from Captain du Bord duBois:".....Pitch ten degrees...." The purpose of this dying man's final words? Remarkable in that he does not mention his mother, utter terrified profanity, or other recorded last words.

He is trying to tell us something. With two seconds to live, he knows the DFDR has recorded Pitch, and Angle of Attack is not available, the aircraft doesn't tell the pilots this, only the DFDR gets the AoA data. He wants us to know they know attitude, that they are without a solution, and he wants posterity to know what the problem is.

He knows the aircraft is nose high, he knows the rate of descent is fatal, and he may as well have said, although discretion may have prevented this: "She is not responding in Pitch...."

You don't care about "WHY". Nor do I, nor do most professional pilots, I would say...

"WHY" is for Priests, the word we concentrate on is "HOW".

My initial conclusion remains that the pilots did not know, nor were they privy to how the aircraft was behaving, and confusion ensued. Once confused, reason becomes difficult, and solution development becomes perhaps impossible.