PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine turboprop crossing the North Sea
Old 16th Feb 2017, 07:09
gordon field

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan the IFSD rate for the PT 6 included those installed in all aircraft both singles and twins and I assume fixed wing only but PW C are reluctant to publicly release data. Many of the shut downs on ME aircraft would not have happened on SET aircraft as these have redundancy built in. PWC do not state. The hr or cycles run on the engines, who overhauled them, when or type of operation.

The Working Group did consider and recognise the increased risk of flying over hostile terrain but left it to market forces to prevail otherwise some could counter that SE training in ME aircraft could be shown to have a higher but as yet unquantifiable risk.

The statistics are based on non commercial operations and hopefully the enhanced initial and recurrent training that is required should reduce fatalities. I believe that a thorough review of a selection of accidents should be part of the training for it clearly highlights what can happen if you deviate from SOP.

Last edited by gordon field; 16th Feb 2017 at 12:19.