PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA32 Saratoga - short field
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2017, 05:43
winkwink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went into Connemara 2 years ago in a PA32-300. 600 mètres, and with a pronounced downward slope which we had to accept due to the wind. Lightish after a flight from London with two up front and one passenger. Pilot had about 150 hours and did a good job stopping. Plenty of runway left without flatspotting the tyres. Much heavier for take off, due to fuel to return to London. Standard short field, 2 stages, downward slope and wind assisted, and it was quite cold. It was again easy.
However, it was a hard runway, and I think it would have been marginal on a level one. 400 metre grass. Well, if you are really firm about acceptable conditions then fine. A Cherry 6 would be a better option. Lose about 15 kts in the cruise but infinitely better short field. Imagine you get comfortable with the landings, then one day there's a gusty crosswind.....I am a really good cross wind pilot, but it can burn up your runway. Take off in a Toga uses lots of grass. Fly in to White Waltham and give it a go