PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpublished let-downs
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2017, 21:24
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently chatted to a few IR and IR(r) students at various schools around London, some at fields without any published approaches over the last few weeks.

I was absolutely horrified when several of them told me that they had been taught to follow a "set of instructions to get back to the field safely in marginal conditions" which involved following radials from nearby VOR/DME. I asked how low they descended, and they told me a figure that sounded too low to be above MSA in these areas. I looked at them and paused for a minute... before asking what the MSA was in the area...

I am not only horrified to find out how many people would descend below MSA, but also at the fact that they were TAUGHT this! I find it absolutely crazy!

I then prompted them about doing a cloud break at a nearby aerodrome, and continue VFR, VMC the whole way back (note the difference between scud running); and some just retorted "why?" And others saying that they didn't even know they could do this!

I find this VERY worrying.

Anyone else think that this may be a good time to press the UK CAA to make GPS approaches more widely available at smaller airfields with/without ATC and make it more affordable paperwork-wise due to the HUGE safety increase provided? More and more IR/ IR(r) training planes being equipped with G430 / G430W / other glass - is it not time to start making approaches in the UK more widely available?