PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrison Ford lands on taxiway KSNA
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2017, 16:25
noflynomore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He knew the field well, and lands there a lot.
Are you certain of that? Ford's hangars and airplanes are all at KSMO.
Chickenhouse said so, post 31.

Do you know anything about a Husky?

Hint: tandem seating
Then tandem, long nosed and probably many other pilots should be extra careful about what it is they think they're lining up on. That's a weak, weak excuse.

Hint: sideslip and observation.

A better "commercial" analogy to this would be the jet that nearly landed on the Bath Rd having mistaken it for the runway.
Mr Ford's question "Was that jet supposed to be underneath me" suggests he was happy that he was accurately lined up on the landing strip - as indeed he was, until something out of the ordinary at the last moment told him something wasn't right. It just wasn't the right strip. Somehow he convinced himself that the strip he lined up on was the correct one but he evidently didn't verify that sufficiently in the first instance and then failed to reverify it throughout the rest of the approach all the way to touchdown. (= fat, dumb and happy. Complacency is a poor place to be at a complex international field) But why carry on to touchdown after seeing that? Suggests to me the antennae weren't sufficiently deployed to immediately think something's VERY wrong here, so Go Around!

I do agree that HF is probably the least likely person on earth to make that mistake again so nowt worse than a rather publicly hard-learned lesson.