PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2017, 13:52
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When did They know and what's missing from the CVR?

"You have to be careful to differentiate between when they could have known of the law change and when they actually spoke about it"

With respect, that is my point, precisely. You also state that the second ADR failed at 2:10:05...and that AL was instantaneous. That leaves two seconds before the Auto Pilot quit, and perhaps another two seconds for the crew to observe the alarm, and institute input. The "gust" likely complicated a crisp decision, perhaps adding another two seconds of distracted focus, and stick input. Six seconds to start manual flight, and stabilization of flight path.

You leave unaddressed my question about when they were cognizant of loss of Protections and a major change in handling (Roll DIRECT). Did they not lose both PFD's?

Do you fly this aircraft? I have an acquaintance who flew the A320. He flew as Captain for ten years. I asked him at one point "how many times have you flown this plane in Alternate Law exactly?" He answered, "Zero".

I asked him if he knew what AL2b is? He answered: "I have no idea."

I repeat, the first time we know absolutely when the pilots were aware of the Law degrade is "...We've lost the speeds......Alternate Law...." Time: 02:10:22.

Seventeen seconds perhaps of Mode Confusion. It is my belief that it is in this initial time period the aircraft was lost....do you disagree? It is certainly within this time frame that we see the "commanded climb" ?

That the THS deployed to Full Nose Up, in the Stall and the Stall Warning was inhibited whilst airborne are but two extraneous conditions that are inexcusable even though not material.

Finally, I need to repeat my thought that though we all can take some ersatz authority from the data post mortem the flight crew had no such luxury. This is the truth, for me, and I make note of this "data" approach by folks who are without the empathy to place themselves wordlessly in this flight deck "on the day"...

Many thanks, Owain Glyndwr.

Are you connected in any way with Airbus?