PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2017, 13:42
Danny42C

All our Yesterdays - Carlstrom Field, Florida.

JW411 (#10189),

I have a DVD of the complete Tee Emm series, would think they should be still obtainable on line.

Roaming around on the Net, stumbled on pure gold - a complete history of Carlstrom Field, Arcadia, FLA. - Google >

RAF TEE EMM Official Air Service Training Memorandum 1942 > RAF wings over Florida: Memories of World War II British air cadets > Purdue University ... Purdue e-Pubs ... Purdue University Press e-books OLD Purdue University Press ... 1-1-2000 ... RAF wings over Florida: Memories of World War II ... British air cadets ... Willard Largent.

I could write reams of comment, but will only note:

Page 15, Re: "egg production". At Leeming (?) the studes were warned off a mink farm, seems the aircraft noise put the males "off their stroke", as it were.

Page 16, Re: "There they would be expected to deal with the obstinate ways of the Vultee BT-13". So I was not the only one to find fault with that uncouth aircraft (cf my early Posts).

Page 16, Re: "welcome to British Cadets". All right for 42A ! (none of this for 42C, as I recall).

Page 17, Re: "There are no compelling explanations why the washout rate among Royal Air Force Arnold Plan cadets was twice that of the RAF cadets who went through one of the British Flying Training Schools" (BFTS)". Nor can there be now - it's all too long ago.

Page 18, Re: "hazing", (advanced as one of the reason reasons for above)

There are some 40 more fascinating pages of this. Worth a look !

Danny.