PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrison Ford lands on taxiway KSNA
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2017, 13:00
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
HF's landing in the golf course has been raised in the media and here. Hmmm. I fly a PT-22 occasionally, and while it is fun to fly it glides like a skillet, and has a propensity to have severe stall characteristics, meaning that a stall as often as not results in a departure into an incipient spin. An engine failure in a confined space that doesn't end up badly is hardly something to bitch about. HF is out there keeping private aviation, and historical flight alive in the U.S. Personally I am impressed by the guy.

Landing on a taxiway? at SNA? This is not the first time, nor will it be the last. Remember the neat security cam video of the B738 zipping down the taxiway in a foreign land? As long as taxiways are closely aligned in heading and spacing to the runway human beings will end up with mistakes occurring. You can shoot the victim of poor design, or work on improving the design. One will make you feel superior, the other mitigate the problem.

I have 25K hours, fly my own jets and vintage heavy aircraft as well as aerobatic aircraft. I've learnt enough in 40 years of professional flying, military, RPT, flight test, human factors research, and accident investigation to be careful about the next mistake I make, as I am human, which makes me open to error. I wish I was as perfect as those who are prepared to be disparaging about HF in this or the Cornell engine failure. Personally, I think that he is an inspiration, and would be happy for him to fly any of my aircraft anytime. Right now, I would think HF is the person least likely to ever land on a taxi way again.