PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain UA455 removed from flight for "emotional meltdown"
Old 14th Feb 2017, 22:42
Amadis of Gaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpannerInTheWerks
Poor thing.

Divorce isn't that devastating - and certainly not something a SANE pilot should get into meltdown over.

If she can't take the strain she should be nowhere near a commercial aircraft - and that's for her to determine as we all have to day-to-day.

I visit to a shrink is definitely required, rest, and maybe a rethink of her career options.
I wonder if it might be a good idea for aviation professionals to have a candid conversation with their partners about what this business does to relationships. Seems to me at least one divorce per career should almost be an expectation, so why not talk about this kind of thing honestly? I don't think ignoring things makes them go away, which is why my wife and I have discussed the possibility that we may not be "until death do us part". It's not because we don't want it to be forever, but because life has a way of throwing curve balls, so perhaps they would be less devastating if there was some honest communication previously.

I could be wrong.