PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain UA455 removed from flight for "emotional meltdown"
Old 14th Feb 2017, 22:04
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mozella
As explained to me by several different physicians, part of that exam included a psych evaluation. One of our pilots was flagged by this process and had to undergo further evaluation by the company doctor. He was eventually cleared and I don't remember the exact circumstances, but there is indeed a procedure in place, or at least there used to be. I'm retired now.
From the 'just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to to get your medical' department, here is some guidance from the FAA Aviation Examiner handbook:

Valuable information can be derived from the casual conversation that occurs during the physical examination. Some of this conversation will reveal information about the family, the job, and special interests. Even some personal troubles may be revealed at this time. The Examiner's questions should not be stilted or follow a regular pattern; instead, they should be a natural extension of the Examiner's curiosity about the person being examined. Information about the motivation for medical certification and interest in flying may be revealing. A formal Mental Status Examination is unnecessary.

For example, it is not necessary to ask about time, place, or person to discover whether the applicant is oriented. Information about the flow of associations, mood, and memory, is generally available from the usual interactions during the examination. Indication of cognitive problems may become apparent during the examination. Such problems with concentration, attention, or confusion during the examination or slower, vague responses should be noted and may be cause for deferral.

The Examiner should make observations about the following specific elements and should note on the form any gross or notable deviations from normal:

Appearance (abnormal if dirty, disheveled, odoriferous, or unkempt);
Behavior (abnormal if uncooperative, bizarre, or inexplicable);
Mood (abnormal if excessively angry, sad, euphoric, or labile);
Communication (abnormal if incomprehensible, does not answer questions directly);
Memory (abnormal if unable to recall recent events); and
Cognition (abnormal if unable to engage in abstract thought, or if delusional or hallucinating).
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ech/item47/et/

A colleague who is big into HIMS drug/alcohol addiction work told me a couple of years ago that the head Department of Transportation doctor was pushing for formal psych exams for pilots but that the FAA Aeromed folks in OKC were not in favor at that time.

Years ago airlines used personality tests like the MMPI to screen applicants but some of that stuff fell out of fashion for a while due to lawsuits like the ones mentioned above claiming cultural bias in hiring decisions.

I understand applicants at some places now take an online Hogan's Goat (I failed ) test for screening.