PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2017, 21:03
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When did They know and what's missing from the CVR?

All this was described in second by second detail in the FIRST expert's report, but that has never, to my knowledge, been translated into English.
You have to be careful to differentiate between when they could have known of the law change and when they actually spoke about it. The expert's report shows an ECAM page timed at 2:10:08 that says "Alternate Law (Protection lost)" but then at 2:10:22 it says:"02h 10.22 Le PNF continue la lecture de I'ECAM : « Alternate Law, protection slo.." so they could have known about it 3 seconds after the actual law change.
The intervening time seems to have been taken up by other activities, because as the experts concluded " Face â l'incompréhension de la situation, le PNF cherche dans la lecture partielle et désordonnée de I'ECAM une justification â ce qu'il perçoit, et revient à son projet d'action initial de prévention des conditions givrantes" - loose translation "not understanding the situation, the PNF resorted to a partial and confused reading of the ECAM to find a justification of what he was seeing and went back to his initial actions for prevention of icing conditions"
From other remarks one can infer that the experts attributed the low level of cockpit conversation to the increase in stress of the moment.

With respect to your other posting, I would have thought that the last thing a pilot, flying in turbulence and faced with a sudden aircraft movement would want to know would be how big was the gust that hit him. He "knew" there was a roll diversion immediately..

I don't know where you got 13.2 degrees from; the published DFDR graphs are really to small to get that much precision unless digitised; but in any case the THS did not "cycle". Its position is determined by a time integral of elevator deflection and without knowing the integration constant and doing a careful integration with the actual elevator input one cannot say what the final THS deflection should have been.
But no, no chance of an Alaskan type pitch.