PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine turboprop crossing the North Sea
Old 14th Feb 2017, 08:07
papazulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You compare a type of operation (desperate cowboys flying wrecks through deadly weather) with a type of aeroplane.
I never said they were cowboys. As a matter of fact some of these ops are awarded fairly decent contracts but then the requirements narrow down the choice to light-ish twins that can be turned around by a guy or two and then the cash-factor steps in...

Some hairy tales from fellow pilots and my minimal experience of MEPs (another lucky one who logged all his twin-hrs burning Jet A1 here...) suggest me that you can hardly keep altitude after an engine failure in a fully loaded Chieftain that might had been flying into some icing conditions. Surely there is no debate on the single vs. twin's subject once the only donkey has stopped, however THESE folks seem to be happy to operate modern SETs over high-ground, remote areas, vast expanses of water and into rubbish weather rather than vintage twins.

Many of those 'desperate cowboys flying wrecks through deadly weather' are now in the left seat of airline transports spanning the globe.
Very true, instinct always played the biggest role and the bad apples I met were very few.