PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2017, 00:45
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO they were not frightened in this incident but obviously confused.
Actually this was an accident, and if they were not experiencing fear on the way down with their aircraft not responding in the way they were expecting it to, then they were not human.
A big clue that they were experiencing fear related stress is that they were not hearing the stall warning alarm while it was sounding (other than right at the beginning when it chirped at them a couple of times). The ears are one of the first things to shut down under stress.
After 40 + years I can say that I have never been subject to fear during an event/incident.
If you can close your eyes and see the event in graphic detail, you probably experienced fear related stress and time dilation at the time.

I can vividly recall a low level jet wake turbulence encounter that rolled the aircraft ~90 degrees at 50 feet above the runway, for example but I was too busy to perceive fear at the time. Doesn't mean that the stress hormones did not kick in, because they did.

Fear is a natural human condition that creates a strong hormonal response in the body. Let us not pretend it does not exist or is a sign of weakness. It is a hidden factor in too many accidents that we seem to be tap dancing around rather than confronting.