PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying in the UAE and keeping UK JAR/EASA ATPL current
Old 13th Feb 2017, 21:01
727Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had any luck lately with the UK CAA? Im in the process at the moment
Cap 804 had an exemption to the 7 year rule.

7 Year rule
Held a UK JAA Licence since 2006, renewed it in 2011, and converted it to
EASA CPL 2015, my last IR on licence was 2007, been flying in the Middle East/Africa and have held various licences and always current IR from them.

Could not add type and IR to my UK Licence as no aircraft type on UK register.
Returned to UK and now type on UK register ( I now have the the type and IR on my UK EASA CPL and now wont issue me with a UK EASA ATPL because of the 7 year rule, CAA said my IR had lapsed more than 7 years. I also completed an A320 type rating in 2012 at Airbus, (I have a course completion certificate, LPC check form signed and stamped by Airbus Toulouse TRTO, certain Middle East Airline would not allow Airbus to sign my UK CAA paperwork?)

I also hold an FAA ATP, CAA has my logbooks, surely they could see Ive been flying in other countries.

Is there any reference to the EASA regulations or surely should be some dispensation to the below ruling in EASA land?

5.3 FCL.625(d): IR Renewal requirement for pilots who hold or have held an IR on
another licence or a UK Military Green Rating
The UK CAA has issued an exemption such that where a pilot holds or has held an
Instrument Rating issued by a third country and that rating is compliant with Annex I to
the Convention on International Civil Aviation, the applicability of FCL.625 IR(c) and (d)
may be based on the validity dates of the Instrument Rating of that other country. The
effect of this exemption is that to renew the IR on a UK issued licence:
(i) a pilot with a current and valid 3rd country IR shall complete the revalidation
requirements of FCL.625(b) and the aircraft category specific requirements for
revalidation of the Part-FCL IR; meaning that he must pass the proficiency check,
but is not required to undergo training or to re-take the theoretical knowledge
examinations; or
(ii) a pilot who held a 3rd country IR that is no longer valid but had been revalidated
or renewed within the preceding 7 years shall comply with the renewal
requirements of FCL.625 IR(c), but is not required to re-take the theoretical
knowledge examinations.