PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Delay due wrong map
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2017, 14:19
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from wiggy:
"However if they only had a European database loaded in the FMGC they won't have had any US navaids, SIDS and STARS, instrument approaches, possibly even the airport position in the database, and that can get very limiting these days, not just from a navigation POV but it can also impact aircraft systems (e.g only a possibility for the bus but based on another type there can be implications for EGPWS, pressurisation)...
"...for example you can't legitimately 'hand build' the likes of the increasingly common RNAV STARS and RNAV approaches in the FMGC or FMS...they have to be extracted from the database."

Yes, all very good points. I was rethinking this overnight. Another thing is that, in the (admittedly unlikely) event of complete GPS failure, no radio-updating of FMGS PPOS (present-position) would be available, due to the absence of DME station frequencies and positions. (Not that that would make any difference in mid-Atlantic, of course.) So you'd be stuck with the Mix-IRS position plus any residual bias correction.

I wonder if database content is included in the MEL (DDM).

Quote from suninmyeyes:
"An atlantic waypoint of say 53 degrees North, 30 degrees West is encoded in the FMS as 5320N."

Can you explain the "5320N", or is it a typo? Must admit I'd never heard of CPDLC...