PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retry EASA Medical exams 2 years later.
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2017, 11:49
verystubbornexplorer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retry EASA Medical exams 2 years later.

So well let's first introduce myself.

I am a 20 year old Dutch guy who has been living in Spain for about 9 years now.

At the very naive and incredibly wise age of just 18 years old I did my Class 1 Medical in Spain and:

Passed all the physical sides, was told I had truly exceptional eyesight (already great for spotting those highway exits when i'm driving) and even given a few compliments on my physical shape. So far so good, also was told I was mentally very stable and calm and had a high level of empathy.

BUT I was told I was rejected, because still being very much a teenager, I did not have that much self-confidence, seemed to have a shy nature and was not outgoing and leading enough to be a commercial pilot. I accepted that and decided to work on myself.

Fast forward 2 years and I am a totally different person:

I am studying hospitality management, work in a hotel reception desk, organize university events for students, have become a very outgoing person and more of a natural leader. I am a totally different person.

I am now trying to get back into flying with a modular ATPL which I will do next to my 4 year hospitality studies. My original plan with this was to first of all get my PPL with a Class 2 medical to see how I like flying and slowly build my way up.

Then with even more time, reapply for a Class 1 medical if I was to move forward into commercial flying.

But the Spanish aviation authorities now flat out refuse to allow me to even do a Class 2 medical based on my previous results and so I keep being stuck on the ground.

Spain is incredibly bureaucratic, there is little information and the flight school does not accept medical licences from the UK or Holland where it all goes much faster.

I would really appreciate some advice on this issue or even like to hear the experiences of other people.